Flushed, fortitude, forgiveness

Updated at: 7:32 PM.
Under Category: Diary
1. It seems like such a little thing, but today I am grateful to finally have a toilet that flushes. After the ceramic tiles in the bathroom were laid last week we were left with a toilet (two actually) sitting in the middle of our living room floor. Never having actually installed a toilet myself, I knew I had to purchase a new wax sealing ring and got it set up on the flange and bolted down. However, I didn't want to mess with the supply plumbing and it was arranged that a plumber should drop by before the end of the week. Well needless to say, a plumber did not show up before the end of the week, and as such, each time nature has called, we've had to fill up the 5 gallon yellow bucket in the tub and slosh it into the toilet bowl to get the darn thing to flush. It seems like such a little thing, but today I am grateful to finally have a toilet that flushes.
2. I was proud of myself today that I was able to gather enough intestinal fortitude to let the landlord know that "we are not amused" by the fact that we still have neither a full bathroom nor a working kitchen. I think one of the reasons that we were led to this space is that it is giving us the chance to find our voices, and to look out for ourselves. To stop apologizing for ourselves and to request what is rightfully and legally ours. No doubt these as yet not fully tapped skills will serve us well in our future creative careers.
3. It's the darnedest thing, but it seems that one cannot hold gratitude in one's heart and be miffed at the same time. I was a bit put out with he-who-shall-not-be-named this evening for some trivial grievance and wanted to wallow in my own self-pity for a bit, but knowing that I was about to record my three blessings for the day made me realize that I can't very well express gratitude while being closed and uncharitable. Even holding this notion in mind has made me examine my grievance in a new light and see just what it is that was getting under my skin so that now I can perhaps deal more eloquently with the situation at hand in a way that brings enlightenment to all.

Flushed, fortitude, forgiveness
, was posted by: , Monday, December 12, 2011, at 7:32 PM under category Diary and permalink http://fernandositumeang.blogspot.com/2006/12/flushed-fortitude-forgiveness.html. Id 4.1.
Comments :